Today, the City of Indianapolis announces trick-or-treat hours for Halloween and offers up tips to help trick-or-treaters stay safe.
Trick-or-treat hours in Indianapolis will be from 6 – 8 p.m. on Tuesday, October 31. IMPD will have extra patrols and enforcement in neighborhoods during these times to protect the safety of residents during Halloween festivities.
Trick-or-treaters can also receive treats from their neighborhood public safety professionals at:
• All IFD Fire Stations from 6-8 p.m.
• IMPD Southeast District Headquarters located at 1150 Shelby St from 3-7 p.m.
A map of all participating locations is attached.
If you are joining in this year’s trick-or-treating fun, please consider the following safety tips:
• Wear light-colored clothing short enough to prevent tripping and add reflective tape
• Wear fire-resistant costumes
• Make sure children can see well through face masks
• Don’t wear masks or disguises into businesses
• Adults should accompany young children and children with special needs
• Go out in daylight hours if possible or carry a flashlight if you’ll be out after dark
• Motorists are reminded to slow down and be aware of their surroundings
• Only give and accept wrapped or packaged treats
• Examine all treats before allowing children to eat them. If you find a suspicious item, contact police as soon as possible at 327-3811; if injury is involved, dial 911
• Avoid props such as toy guns, which can look real
• Consider block parties instead of trick-or-treating
• Don’t fire guns – not only is this illegal, but what goes up, must come down
• Check the weather and have appropriate dress under costumes in the event of cold temperatures
Click here for map where you can receive treats from neighborhood public safety professionals